What Should You Do When You Have a Dental Emergency in NYC?
Experiencing a dental emergency comes with its share of stress and anxiety. Whether you experience severe pain or sudden discomfort, issues relating to your dental health should be referred to an emergency dentist in NYC immediately. Knowing what constitutes a dental emergency, and when to act will allow you to get the care you need so you can smile again.
Dr. Spiro Condos is an experienced emergency dentist in NYC, ready to provide effective care for your dental concerns. Learn more about dental emergencies and you’ll be prepared no matter what happens.
When is a Dental Concern a Dental Emergency?
Unlike common dental issues, a dental emergency will require immediate or near-immediate professional intervention. Typically, these emergencies are associated with severe pain or acute injuries around the teeth, gums, and mouth.
Getting effective and rapid treatment for a dental emergency can improve the outcome and may simplify the treatment required.
Examples of When You Should Call an Emergency Dentist in NYC
While you might not assume it today, chances are that if you ever experience a dental emergency, you’ll intuitively know that you need immediate care. This is because these scenarios are typically so severe or unusual that you’ll be naturally inclined to call an emergency dentist in NYC.
These are some specific examples of when you should call your emergency dentist in NYC for a priority appointment.
- Severe and sudden toothache –If you suddenly experience a toothache that is persistent and unusually painful, you’ll need to call your emergency dentist in NYC. This can indicate damage to a tooth or an infection.
- Knocked-out tooth –There’s a small window of opportunity to save a knocked-out tooth. Handle the tooth only by the crown and not the root. Attempt to gently insert it back into the socket but don’t force it. If you can’t get it into the socket, store it in clean water (it’s important to keep it moist) and call your emergency dentist in NYC. Even if it fits back into the socket, you’ll still need your emergency dentist in NYC to provide care to save the tooth.
- Lost filling or crown –If a filling falls out or a crown comes loose, the inside of your tooth will become exposed. This is often (but not always) extremely painful. You’ll need emergency care to restore the tooth and protect it from further damage.
- Inflammation, oozing, or bleeding gums –If you have oozing or bleeding around the gums, and swelling, it’s a sign that there’s an infection. Don’t ignore this, even if the pain is only moderate. Your family dentist in NYC will provide effective treatment for the infection, which can minimize the risk of tooth loss.
- Objects stuck in teeth –Foreign objects, usually pieces of shells or bone, can become stuck between teeth. It’s important not to force these free as they could chip or damage teeth. Book an appointment with your family dentist in NYC to have the object or objects safely removed.
Call your family dentist in NYC if you have any other dental concerns where teeth are damaged, or you have severe pain, swelling, bleeding, or other unusual conditions. It’s always better to be cautious than to ignore a dental concern. You can schedule an appointment with your family dentist in NYC today.
Should You Go to the ER for a Dental Emergency?
Your family dentist in NYC can typically provide emergency care for common dental concerns and even uncommon problems. You may need to visit the ER in some specific cases. It depends on the severity of the problem.
Visit the ER if you have been in an accident of any sort and have severe facial or jaw injuries. Even if you have damage to your teeth, injuries to your face take precedence. Dental care can be coordinated once the more severe injuries are treated.
If you experience excessive bleeding that can’t be controlled, you can visit the ER for emergency care.
If you think that your jaw is fractured or dislocated and you can’t speak or move the jaw, visit the ER for urgent care. Likewise, if you think you have a dental issue but also have trouble breathing, you should visit the ER first before scheduling an appointment with your dentist.
If in doubt, call emergency services first.
Dr. Condos is Your Emergency and Family Dentist in NYC
Dr. Spiro Condos and his team are ready to provide effective care in case of a dental emergency. You can call us to book a priority appointment. Don’t delay your treatment. The sooner dental emergencies are treated, the better the outcome will be. Dr. Condos is an experienced family dentist in NYC with surgical, cosmetic, general, and endodontic experience. With an excellent team, he will help to correct immediate issues while preserving your long-term dental health.