What is Halitosis and What are its Causes?
Halitosis is a condition more commonly known as bad breath. While certain foods and beverages can lead to temporary bad breath, halitosis as diagnosed by your dentist in NYC is a more persistent condition that can remain for days or even weeks at a time without treatment.
The most common cause of halitosis is poor oral hygiene, although it’s not the only factor. Understanding more about bad breath can help you to avoid it, and let you know when to get treatment with your dentist in NYC when the problem won’t go away.
What Causes Halitosis?
While poor oral hygiene is a leading factor, other causes of halitosis can be addressed by your dentist in NYC.
- Bad breath is most frequently caused by poor oral hygiene. If you don’t brush, rinse, and floss frequently, bacteria can develop in the mouth, leading to persistent odors. Sometimes this might not go away immediately when brushing, especially if excessive amounts of plaque and debris have developed in your mouth.
- Gum disease is a major cause of persistent bad breath. As pockets develop between teeth and gums, there’s more space for bacteria colonies and food debris to collect.
- Tooth decay, especially advanced tooth decay and infections in the root can cause persistent bad breath. Dental implants in NYC can save teeth while having the additional effect of eliminating bad breath by removing decayed teeth.
- If you have a persistently dry mouth due to a medical condition, it’s more likely that you’ll develop bad breath or halitosis.
- Some foods and drinks can lead to temporary bad breath. Foods like garlic, onions, and strong spices can linger on the breath, but will typically subside with normal oral hygiene steps and rinsing. Changing your diet could, in some cases, treat bad breath, providing that there’s not another underlying condition.
Whatever the cause, you can get a complete diagnosis and effective advice and treatment for halitosis with your dentist in NYC. Treatments ranging from regular cleaning to treatment for tooth decay with a smile makeover can eliminate the symptoms.
Do You Need Dental Implants in NYC to Treat Bad Breath?
If you have advanced tooth decay, then you might need dental implants in NYC. Implants replace both teeth and roots and infections can be treated before implants are placed. If bad breath is related to tooth decay, then dental implants in NYC could restore your smile while also eliminating bad breath.
Dental implants in NYC aren’t a specific solution for bad breath, so they’re only recommended when teeth can’t be saved. Alternatives to dental implants in NYC include aesthetic fillings, dentures, and dental crowns or crowns plus bridges.
Treating Gum Disease with a Smile Makeover from Your Dentist in NYC
If gum disease is the underlying cause of bad breath, you could get treatment with a complete smile makeover. Your smile makeover will be customized for your unique needs. Gum disease can be treated with root scaling and planning to smooth teeth below the gumline while removing plaque and tartar.
In some advanced cases, your gums may begin to recede, exposing the roots of teeth. Treatment is available with soft tissue grafting with your dentist in NYC.
A smile makeover can include both functional and aesthetic treatments, as well as detailed cleaning and in-office hygiene treatments. If you’re suffering from halitosis and want to restore your smile while also treating the underlying issue, you can book a smile makeover at Dental Implant Center NYC.
Regular Dental Checkups to Prevent Bad Breath
Regular hygiene practices at home aren’t enough to protect your teeth. Regular hygiene treatments with your dentist in NYC can provide several benefits.
- You can have professional cleaning and smile makeover treatments like teeth whitening when you book regular dental checkups and hygiene services with your dentist in NYC.
- Your dentist and hygienist can spot the signs that problems are developing, allowing you to get early treatment for any dental problems that could cause bad breath or other issues.
- The earlier that problems are identified, the more effective the treatment will be.
- Regular dental checkups are an investment in your oral health. With routine care, you could eliminate the need to have tooth replacement treatments like dental implants in NYC.
Even if your teeth are in great condition, it’s important to schedule regular dental checkups every six months.
Whether you are suffering from halitosis, or you want a dental examination and checkup for your peace of mind, you’ll get the best care at Dental Implant Center NYC. Visit Dr. Condos and his experienced team for compassionate care and the most advanced treatments. We’re available to schedule your appointment and are looking forward to helping you achieve your best smile yet.