Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ) Causes and Treatments – Dental Implant Center NYC
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the most unique joint in your body. It allows movement of the jaw both up and down and from side to side. It is used whenever you move your mouth, whether you are biting, chewing, speaking, or even yawning. Issues can arise with the joint and the risk increases as you age. These are known as temporomandibular joint disorders or TMJ disorders.
Your NYC dentist can diagnose and treat these disorders. Start by learning more about the condition and visit Dental Implant Center NYC if you have any concerns surrounding your oral health.
What is TMJ Disorder?
Your NYC dentist can examine you for TMJ disorder. Conditions affect both the joint and the surrounding muscles. More than 10 million Americans are diagnosed every year.
A disorder is any type of disruption that affects the normal functioning of the temporomandibular joint. Stress, misalignment of the jaw, bruxism, and arthritis are some of the most common symptoms. Understanding these symptoms in detail can help you to know when you should visit your NYC dentist for diagnosis and treatment.
What Causes the Disorder?
The causes can be complex and varied. Your NYC family dentist will be able to identify the underlying cause, as this is usually a key aspect of designing the right treatment.
Bruxism (teeth grinding) is one of the most common causes of TMJ disorder. Your NYC family dentist can provide orthodontic treatments that help to prevent bruxism or help you to get orthodontic appliances that can prevent stress in the jaw and damage to teeth.
Stress and anxiety, arthritis, trauma, genetics, and chewing habits may also contribute. You’ll learn about underlying causes when you visit your NYC family dentist for your detailed examination.
Symptoms that Indicate You Should Visit Your NYC Dentist
TMJ disorder can present itself in a variety of ways, with symptoms that can range from mild to severe. The symptoms may even fluctuate throughout the day or through periods of weeks or days. Understanding the telltale signs will help you to get treatment from your NYC dentist as soon as they appear. Early treatment can prevent pain, discomfort, and long-term complications.
- Pain in the jaw, like tenderness and soreness, can indicate that you might have a temporomandibular joint disorder.
- Clicking and popping when you open and close your mouth is a common symptom.
- You might develop a limited range of movement in your jaw, making it hard to open or close your mouth.
- The pain and tenderness could radiate out to the ears, face, and neck.
- People with temporomandibular joint disorders often experience recurrent headaches.
- You could experience temporary locking and cramping of your jaw.
While these symptoms aren’t always related to the temporomandibular joint, it’s important to have them checked by your NYC dentist. This is especially true if you have more than one symptom. Your dentist can perform a detailed examination to get to the root cause of the symptoms and provide an effective treatment plan.
Treatment for TMJ Disorder with Your NYC Family Dentist
There are a range of treatments available to treat problems with the temporomandibular joint. These treatments can alleviate pain, provide a functional restoration, and improve your overall quality of life. Your NYC family dentist will tailor the treatment plan for your case, ensuring the best outcome.
Some of the most common treatments for TMJ disorder include:
- Changes in your lifestyle, such as stress management techniques and relaxation exercises can reduce tension in the jaw.
- Oral appliances like splints and mouthguards are worn to correct jaw alignment and prevent teeth grinding.
- Physical therapy can improve the mobility of the jaw to reduce pain.
- In some cases, medications like anti-inflammatory or muscle relaxant drugs are used to reduce inflammation around the jaw.
- Dental corrections can be used if TMJ disorder is related to the position of your bite. Orthodontic adjustments can align your teeth and jaws to prevent TMJ symptoms. Your NYC family dentist can provide orthodontic correction with Invisalign, a clear and comfortable aligner solution.
- In the most severe cases, invasive procedures (jaw surgery) are used to treat the disorder.
Each case is unique, so the treatment plan can vary significantly between patients. Your NYC family dentist is available to begin the consultation process.
Book Your Consultation with a Trusted Dentist in NYC
Dr. Spiro Condos is a trusted dentist in NYC, offering detailed treatment plans and effective treatments. Dr. Condos is known as a dentist in NYC that has a compassionate and in-depth approach. Your treatment will be individualized, ensuring that every aspect is designed around your needs.
Finding a reliable dentist in NYC can be challenging for some patients. Dental Implant Center NYC is home to Dr. Condos and his talented team. Our dental office is known for providing the most advanced dental care for patients. Dr. Condos is both an educator and a practitioner. His skill is respected throughout the industry and can result in the very best patient outcomes. Dr. Condos is your trusted dentist in NYC.
Book your consultation with a reliable dentist in NYC and get an accurate evaluation and treatment plan for temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder. With the right care, you can overcome the pain and complications of this common dental concern.