How to Handle Toothaches (NYC)
August 30, 2021
How to Handle Toothaches in New York City
Toothaches are among the most common problems treated by our general dentistry team in New York City. While toothache treatment isn’t always linked to a serious condition, pain in or around your teeth should never be ignored. The earlier you receive toothache treatment, the better the outcome will be.
Dr. Spiro Condos is an experienced implant dentist in NYC offering a range of services including general dentistry and toothache treatment. No matter the underlying cause, you will receive effective toothache treatment to restore and preserve your oral health.
Learn about toothaches, the potential causes, and book your appointment for toothache treatment at Dental Implant Center NYC.
What are the Causes of Toothaches?
Toothache is a general term in dentistry that relates to several different types of pain experienced by patients. Toothache can feel as if it originates within the tooth, while at other times it originates from or radiates deep into the root. Toothache can come with sensitivity to hot, cold, and sweet food. It can also occur during brushing or flossing.
Depending on the severity, a toothache can range from uncomfortable to near-debilitating. It can make it difficult to chew and talk, or even open your mouth. Ignoring a toothache can significantly impact your quality of life. It’s essential to get toothache treatment as soon as symptoms begin.
The most common causes of toothaches include:
- Tooth Abscess
- Tooth fracture
- Tooth decay or a damaged filling.
- Tooth grinding (bruxism).
- Oral trauma.
- Gum infection and gum disease.
- Peri-implantitis (infection and damage around implants).
Because the underlying causes are varied and, in some cases, complex, treating a toothache at home is symptomatic and should only be used as temporary relief before you can visit a specialist or practitioner of general dentistry.
Temporary Toothache Treatment in New York City at Home
Any toothache in NYC is a sign of a dental problem and must be referred to your dentist. If you can’t visit a clinic right away, you can try a remedy to treat the symptoms.
- Apply a wrapped cold compress to your cheek over the pain for up to 20 minutes, this can dull pain and reduce inflammation.
- Take an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen to reduce inflammation and pain. Always follow the product directions.
- Rinse your mouth with salt water to clean infected areas, temporarily reducing pain.
Again, these are temporary toothache treatments and should not be relied on long-term.
When to Seek Emergency Treatment for Implant or General Dentistry
Most mild and moderate cases can be referred to your dentist for toothache treatment. You may need emergency care if you have severe pain and other symptoms.
Talk to Dental Implant Center NYC today if:
- You have a tooth implant with inflammation, pain, or if an implant/crown is loose.
- You have developed a fever.
- You have a swollen, red bump on your gum, suggesting an abscess.
- There is blood or pus even without brushing.
- You have an unpleasant or salty taste in your mouth.
- Swelling has extended to your face or jaw.
Dr. Spiro Condos is a board-certified dentist with more than 30 years of experience in the industry. He provides general dentistry services and is the leading implant dentist in NYC.
Whether your toothache is related to gum, tooth, or implant problems, you will get effective toothache treatment designed to support your oral health in the long term.
How the Best Implant Dentist in NYC Can Protect Your Oral Health
Dentistry services should be approached with a target of not just treating the problem today but ensuring your continued oral health.
Your teeth should be protected. Healthy teeth mean happy smiles, without pain, discomfort, or embarrassment. With the best implant dentist in NYC, you can smile with confidence and enjoy the food and activities that you love.
Dr. Spiro Condos is the most experienced implant dentist in NYC and is respected throughout the industry for his work as an educator, researcher, and practitioner. In addition to implant consultation and toothache treatment, you can schedule a consultation for:
- General dentistry services including root canals, dental bonding, dental crowns, TMJ and bruxism treatment, dentures, and preventative dentistry.
- Cosmetic dentistry from orthodontics and veneers to whitening and full smile makeovers.
- Esthetic white fillings to treat tooth decay without compromising your smile.
- Inlays and onlays to treat cavities.
A toothache is a sure sign that you need the best dental care with the most trusted implant dentist in NYC. Schedule your appointment today and enjoy the detailed and compassionate approach that Dr. Condos is known for.