Does Dental Sedation Help You to Relax? – Dental Implant Center NYC Smile Makeover
December 30, 2022
A smile makeover is a customized treatment plan that can give you confidence with a mouth full of beautiful and healthy teeth. Cosmetic dentistry in NY covers a range of procedures. The approach will be targeted toward your particular dental concerns. Even if the treatment is non-invasive, you might have some anxiety surrounding your visit to the dental office. Dental sedation is an option that can help you to relax during your treatment.
Does dental sedation work, and what are the different options available with your dentist in NYC?
Dental Sedation is Effective
To answer the most pressing question, dental sedation is effective. It can help you to feel relaxed and calm during dental procedures. Although it is often used for complex procedures, dental sedation is available to most patients, even for routine procedures.
If you have any anxiety or simply feel uncomfortable while having dental work done, you can let your dentist in NYC know. Dr. Condos will evaluate the dental sedation options that best suit you and the procedure being performed.
Dental sedation is best for patients who…
- Have extreme tooth sensitivity.
- Feel generally uncomfortable while in the dental chair.
- Have dental anxiety or a fear of visiting the dentist.
- Have a strong gag reflex.
There are also cases where dental sedation is recommended even if there’s no fear or anxiety. Patients with special needs or decreased ability to control their movements can be recommended dental sedation to ensure safer procedures.
Dental sedation works by altering your senses. You will be conscious but more relaxed and carefree. You will be carefully monitored throughout the procedure. Sedation medications are safe and are carefully administered by trained and trusted professionals.
Types of Sedation Available with Your Dentist in NYC
There are various forms of sedation available. The right one for you will depend on your unique case and the type of procedure being performed. Your dentist in NYC will discuss the options and make a recommendation ahead of your procedure.
- Nitrous Oxide is administered for dental sedation through a nosepiece or mask. Although it’s known as laughing gas, the dose administered for dental work will instead make you feel relaxed with a calm and slightly euphoric feeling.
- Oral Sedation (through a pill or capsule) is a heavier form of sedation available for more complex procedures. You’ll be conscious but drowsy, and time will appear to pass very quickly throughout your procedure. Oral sedation will be recommended by your dentist in NYC if the procedure will be more complex and time-consuming.
- Intravenous Sedation can be recommended if you have severe dental anxiety or if the procedure will be particularly complicated and lengthy. This is administered through an IV and your vitals will be carefully monitored throughout the procedure.
Examples of where oral and intravenous sedation might be used include multiple tooth extraction, dental implant procedures, and dental bone grafting. Every case is unique, so it’s important to talk to your dentist in NYC if you have any form of anxiety about an upcoming visit to the dentist.
Can You Get Sedation for Cosmetic Dentistry in NY?
Cosmetic dentistry in NY is typically less invasive than functional dentistry procedures, but you might still feel some anxiety ahead of your treatment. You can request sedation for cosmetic dentistry in NY. Sometimes it may even be recommended if the treatment is likely to take a long time, or if it requires complex work within the mouth.
Sedation for cosmetic dentistry in NY is functionally identical when compared to other procedures. The level of sedation will depend on your unique needs.
If your anxiety has led you to avoid a smile makeover with cosmetic dentistry in NY, sedation could be exactly what you need to get a smile that you will love.
Book an Appointment to Learn About Dental Sedation for Your Smile Makeover
Whether you need veneers, dental bonding, white fillings, or even tooth restoration, you can feel confident knowing that dental sedation is available for your smile makeover.
Dr. Spiro Condos and his team provide world-class dental care in a safe and comfortable environment. Dr. Condos has a compassionate and detailed approach to ensure the best patient outcomes. Our entire team understands that for some people, visiting the dental office is simply uncomfortable and can create anxiety. That’s where dental sedation comes in to make a smile makeover possible.
Dental sedation will help you to relax no matter the procedure you need. Book your appointment at Dental Implant Center NYC to learn about your treatment options.